Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-29 00:48:36

paulb203

Instantaneous acceleration from velocity time graph

Question 4.

Q. Work out the average acceleration during the 50 seconds?
I see that you can find this out by drawing a tangent to the graph, and working out the gradient of the line. And you can check this by a=delta v/(t)

Q. Estimate the time during the 50 seconds when the instantaneous acceleration = the average acceleration?
So, when does the inst.acc = 0.6m/s/s?
How do you find this out?

#2 2024-03-29 01:52:35

Bob
Administrator

Re: Instantaneous acceleration from velocity time graph

hi paulb203

I see that you can find this out by drawing a tangent to the graph, and working out the gradient of the line. And you can check this by a=delta v/(t)

Q. Estimate the time during the 50 seconds when the instantaneous acceleration = the average acceleration?

I'm not seeing an image of a graph. So I've made one up that has, I hope, similar features.

PDAykuV.gif

This is typical for a vehicle doing a drag race.  Acceleration is maximal at the start; but as the frictional forces build up it becomes harder and harder for the vehicle at add any more velocity so the acceleration tails off even though the velocity is still going up. Eventually the power in equals the power lost to friction and a maximum speed is reached.

My object starts from rest at A and accelerates as it travels towards B. The gradient curves down showing that the acceleration is not constant over time, but rather, that it is diminishing as the object approaches B.

The average acceleration is the (gain in velocity) over the (time taken) so the gradient of the line AB.  You won't need a tangent for this; just do (up) divided by (across).

I've drawn a line parallel to AB that touches the curve at C.  This is the instant when the gradient of the curve is equal to the gradient of AB.  So you need the time coordinate at C.

When is the instant acceleration 0.6 ?  I would draw any convenient line on the graph that has a gradient of 0.6.  Then I'd construct a parallel line that just touches the curve. That's the point where the acceleration is 0.6.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2024-03-29 11:13:45

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

hi paulb203

I'm not seeing an image of a graph. So I've made one up that has, I hope, similar features.

https://i.imgur.com/PDAykuV.gif

This is typical for a vehicle doing a drag race.  Acceleration is maximal at the start; but as the frictional forces build up it becomes harder and harder for the vehicle at add any more velocity so the acceleration tails off even though the velocity is still going up. Eventually the power in equals the power lost to friction and a maximum speed is reached.

My object starts from rest at A and accelerates as it travels towards B. The gradient curves down showing that the acceleration is not constant over time, but rather, that it is diminishing as the object approaches B.

The average acceleration is the (gain in velocity) over the (time taken) so the gradient of the line AB.  You won't need a tangent for this; just do (up) divided by (across).

I've drawn a line parallel to AB that touches the curve at C.  This is the instant when the gradient of the curve is equal to the gradient of AB.  So you need the time coordinate at C.

When is the instant acceleration 0.6 ?  I would draw any convenient line on the graph that has a gradient of 0.6.  Then I'd construct a parallel line that just touches the curve. That's the point where the acceleration is 0.6.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Bob,

I want you to do the same with my questions when needed. I mean, provide a graph.

The Rapture is the central event in biblical prophecy. The greatest truth about the Rapture is not its timing but it's reality. The Rapture will be the great disappearance.

Dr. David Jeremiah

#4 2024-03-31 23:12:15

paulb203

Thanks a lot, Bob.

And, Doh! I forgot to post the link to the question (and graph);

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/resources/9-velocity-time-graphs.pdf

#5 2024-04-14 15:11:31

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

hi paulb203

https://i.imgur.com/PDAykuV.gif

Hope that helps.

Bob

Is this calculus?

The Rapture is the central event in biblical prophecy. The greatest truth about the Rapture is not its timing but it's reality. The Rapture will be the great disappearance.

Dr. David Jeremiah

Board footer