Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-15 03:13:44

LCM9001
Novice

Help Modeling Statistics Scenario to Support Claim

Context: I'm a salesperson that works for a company that has a product that helps to increase Influenced Hires, a company would want to hire more Influenced Hires because they have a 27% higher promotion rate than Non-Influenced Hires.

Based on the assumption that employees that are promoted are highly engaged employees, and studies show that highly engaged employees produce 21% more profit, I want to illustrate to clients the potential positive financial impact increasing their percentage of Influenced Hires could have on Revenue by investing in my company's product.

Some assumptions & inputs:
  - Company made 55 hires in the past year, if relevant/necessary we can assume the company will make 55 hires in each of the next 3-5 years (if longer timeline is helpful to proving statement that's fine)
  - Company had a 35% Influenced Hire Rate in the past year
  - Median Salary at company is $100,000
  - Organizational Value of each Employee is 2x their annual salary, meaning each employee is expected to generate $200,000 in Revenue
  - Profit margin stays constant year over year meaning the 21% more in profit mentioned earlier can be applied to revenue
  - Average promotion rate in the US is 10%
  - Influenced Hires have a 27% higher promotion rate than Non-Influenced Hires
  - Employees promoted are highly engaged & highly engaged employees produce 21% more profit

I've been running into issues doing the math and it showing that despite a 27% higher promotion rate, the expected number of promotions for Non-Influenced Hires comes out to be higher than the expected number of promotions for Influenced Hires.

I think that might be because I'm using the 35% Influenced Hire Rate when in order to support my claim, I'd need to be using a 50:50 split, but math is really not my strong suit so need confirmation if using a 50:50 split is ideal or not.

It could also have something to do with using too short of a timeline?

What would be the best way to model this out to support my claim?

#2 2024-05-15 23:28:24

Bob
Administrator

Re: Help Modeling Statistics Scenario to Support Claim

hi LCM9001

Welcome to the forum.

I'm struggling somewhat here because of the business jargon.  I got a definition of 'influenced hire' from linked-in that seems to make sense.

What I'm getting is this: you've constructed a model and it's not giving you the answers you were expecting.  To go further I need to see the model, with live data.  Then I can 'mark your homework'. It could just be you've got a sum wrong somewhere but without the figures I'm completely in the dark.

Also 50/50 split ? What are you splitting?

And another thought based on the linked-in definition.  That seems to me to cover virtually all the ways someone might get a job. How else does someone get a job if they haven't "viewed a job or clicked Apply"; "opened an InMail (email?) etc; "Viewed an advert; "Clicked a Work with Us Ad, clicked a Recruitment Ad, engaged with a Sponsored Update, interacted with your viral feeds or other talent ads."

If someone gets a job by some other route I can only think it's because they already know the company boss, are maybe related. In which case their performance might well be superior.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2024-05-16 01:17:54

LCM9001
Novice

Bob wrote:

hi LCM9001

Welcome to the forum.

I'm struggling somewhat here because of the business jargon.  I got a definition of 'influenced hire' from linked-in that seems to make sense.

What I'm getting is this: you've constructed a model and it's not giving you the answers you were expecting.  To go further I need to see the model, with live data.  Then I can 'mark your homework'. It could just be you've got a sum wrong somewhere but without the figures I'm completely in the dark.

Also 50/50 split ? What are you splitting?

And another thought based on the linked-in definition.  That seems to me to cover virtually all the ways someone might get a job. How else does someone get a job if they haven't "viewed a job or clicked Apply"; "opened an InMail (email?) etc; "Viewed an advert; "Clicked a Work with Us Ad, clicked a Recruitment Ad, engaged with a Sponsored Update, interacted with your viral feeds or other talent ads."

If someone gets a job by some other route I can only think it's because they already know the company boss, are maybe related. In which case their performance might well be superior.

Bob

I want to preface my response with, I'm not trying to manipulate the data to show anything it shouldn't, I don't want to do anything in the calculations that wouldn't make sense to do or would invalidate things, I don't come from a math background and I was never that good at math growing up, so I'm mostly thinking out loud and don't understand the consequences of changing something or trying something a certain way.

The idea here, which I think makes sense based on the assumptions shared is, companies should try to increase the number of Influenced Hires to potentially generate greater revenue.  I don't see why this wouldn't hold true if we accept the assumptions, but again, not very good at math.

I think where I've run into at least my first problem is, when trying to illustrate the higher likelihood of promotion, I used the company's previous Influenced Hire Rate of 35%, rather than an even playing field of 50% (this is what I was referring to when I said 50:50 split originally). 

However, I'm not sure if using a 50% Influenced Hire Rate, would break any rules of math or something like that.

Here is the math that I did previously using the 35% Influenced Hire Rate.

# of Influenced Hires: 55 x 0.35 = 19 # of Non-Influenced Hires: 55 - 19 = 36

Promotion rate for Influenced Hires= 1.27x

Expected # of promotions for Influenced Hires = 19(1.27x)

Expected # of promotions for Non-Influenced Hires = 36x

Total Expected Promotions = Expected # of promotions for Influenced Hires + Expected # of promotions for Non-Influenced Hires

Total Expected Promotions based on 10% promotion rate for 55 hires: 5 (rounded down)

5 = 19(1.27x)+36x --> 5 = 24.13x + 36x --> 5 = 60.13x --> x = 5/60.13 = 0.083

Expected # of promotions of Influenced Hires: 55 x 0.35 x 1.27 x 0.083 = 2
Expected # of promotions of Non-Influenced Hires: 55 x 0.65 x 0.083 = 3

#4 2024-05-17 00:46:59

Bob
Administrator

I'm still struggling a bit. You didn't answer my question

How else does someone get a job?

When mathematicians write out a calculation using x, they say what x stands for.  I'm guesing, based on your calcs that it is the promotion rate.

The ratio of influenced hires to non-influenced hires (let's abbreviate to IH:NIH)is 19:36. That's not far off 18:36 ie twice as many NIH.

Your promotion calcs end with a ratio of 2:3. So only 1.5 as many NIH.  So you have a sensible result.  IH are doing better but there aren't enough of them in the company to end up with the ratio tipping towards them fully.

So far I see no reason to use 50/50.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2024-05-18 10:23:52

mathxyz

Bob wrote:

I'm still struggling a bit. You didn't answer my question

How else does someone get a job?

When mathematicians write out a calculation using x, they say what x stands for.  I'm guesing, based on your calcs that it is the promotion rate.

The ratio of influenced hires to non-influenced hires (let's abbreviate to IH:NIH)is 19:36. That's not far off 18:36 ie twice as many NIH.

Your promotion calcs end with a ratio of 2:3. So only 1.5 as many NIH.  So you have a sensible result.  IH are doing better but there aren't enough of them in the company to end up with the ratio tipping towards them fully.

So far I see no reason to use 50/50.

Bob

What are your thoughts on statistics? In the United States, statistics is a separate branch of mathematics at most universities. In fact, it is often taught together with probability. I am not really into reading bar charts, or line charts, or dot charts or interested in population explosion surveys, etc.

#6 2024-05-18 19:28:37

Bob
Administrator

When I did my age 18 A levels, stats wasn't part of the course.

But it was introduced later and I had to teach it.  Sometimes I have to look up the methods.

Bob

#7 2024-05-19 01:51:55

mathxyz

Bob wrote:

When I did my age 18 A levels, stats wasn't part of the course.

But it was introduced later and I had to teach it.  Sometimes I have to look up the methods.

Bob

I know little about statistics. I like the formulas but dislike the graph reading and survey part of the course.

Board footer