Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 Yesterday 00:15:09

ktesla39
Website

Coordinate Geometry question

Find the equation of locus of point which moves on the line joining the points (2,4) and (5,9).

Full solution with process please. smile

"Talent hits the target no one else can hit. Genius hits the target no one else can see." - Arthur Schopenhauer

#2 Yesterday 00:26:25

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Coordinate Geometry question

Hi ktesla39,

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 Yesterday 00:41:40

ktesla39
Website

Sorry but it asked for equation but you calculated distance.

"Talent hits the target no one else can hit. Genius hits the target no one else can see." - Arthur Schopenhauer

#4 Yesterday 00:42:00

Bob
Administrator

Find the equation of locus of point which moves on the line joining the points (2,4) and (5,9).

That will be the equation of the line.

Step 1. Find the gradient.

The general equation of a straight line is y = mx + c where m is the gradient, so I'll substitute in (2,4) and m = 5/3 to find c.

So we have

You can also express the locus like this: {points of the form (3t-1, 5t-1) for all t}

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#5 Yesterday 00:48:23

ktesla39
Website

Ok
Thank you very much smile

Board footer